Thursday, July 17, 2008

This & That, Or, As They Call It On Jeopardy, "Potpourri"

Yesterday there was a 40-minute pounding, full-bore, hailstorm out here in the west end. I mean, heavy downpouring rain and pea-to-bean-sized hail for the full 40 minutes. This went on from about 1640h to 1720h, and at 2130h there were still heaps of unmelted hailstones in the yard. I have seen a lot of storms both winter and summer in my 53 years here, but this one ranked right up there as an all-time STORM TO REMEMBER. The thunder & lightning, while sometimes really really too close for comfort, were spectacular, too - especially the booming thunderclaps.

My niece just got back from a trip to New York City with her two best friends from Kelowna. One of said BFFs works for Fairmont, and with her employee discount was able to get them all a room at the Plaza. Not bad for 23-year-old chicks in the biggest city on the continent! They went to MoMA, the Met, rode the subway & saw a rat (niece thought it was a prop for the tourists), took in a performance of "Rent" on Broadway, drank $20.00 martinis, and shopped their little hearts out. Niece brought me back a Betty Boop wallet (I <3 Betty Boop), a gorgeous pashmina, and the coolest puzzle cube that opens to different pictures of ancient artifacts - she got it in the gift shop at the Met.

No more nibbles on the condo, if you don't count the very pushy & shady dude who called me from the sidewalk right outside, bragged that he had already bought up 3 other units in this complex, and tried to intimidate me into lowering my asking price. No thanks, creepy dude, I'll pass. I am not discouraged, however - I know I'll sell the place eventually.

My honorary kid sister is coming for a visit next month! She'll be staying in my guest room, and we'll have a blast. I haven't seen her for five years, so I'm really looking forward to her visit. Note to the Divine Miss M - we will definitely, all three of us, go out for some kickass ethnic food if you're free. Maybe Lebanese or Turkish?

As of yesterday afternoon, my good, good, old and dear friend Groom Leader is no longer a resident of this city. He and his fiancee left by car (after she flew here to accompany him on the drive back) for her home in the States. He has his INS paperwork in order, and a week from Saturday they'll be married in a civil ceremony. While I know that he and his bride will be blissfully happy, I miss him already! (Yes, folks it IS all about me - after all, it's MY blog!)

Work continues to be stressful - both the duties and my issues with my supposed "leadership" persons - but as I don't want to blog myself out of a job, that's all I'm comfortable posting on that subject. Let's just say that I plan to take as many V and J days as I have in the bank - on the orders of one of my physicians who's on staff at the hospital. I have the advantage of being a very stubborn individual as well as a survivor, and for now my mantra is, "This, too, shall pass".

That's all for now. Hey, TB, any chance you can make it up here in August, specifically between the 12th & 17th?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

(Accidently entered this on the wrong subject, so...) Rest assured, that I (and my new Bride!) miss you as much as you miss us.
Speaking of weather, it's really "fun" how many wicked ass lightning storms we get here. Two in less that a week, and a pounding rainstorm with last night's display! And our dog, who is a 90 pound bundle of fur, heads upstairs and hides from the thunder!

TB said...

I'd love to make the trip north...but if I do that, I'd have to skip G&J's wedding in October. And the stretch you asked about (12-17) is the one weekend I have something going on in August prior to the start of school in-hell...umm...in-service days.