Monday, April 30, 2007

One Month In My New Home

Well, on Saturday it was a month since moving day. I think I've done pretty well in that time. I may not have any of my pictures/artwork hung up on the walls yet, but I have the rest of the main floor unpacked, ditto the second floor. And, after three intensive days of work (and some really livid, massive new bruises), I have almost all of the loft done. There is one large bookcase to wash down, and only 11 liquor store boxes of books left to unpack. That, considering it was hard to navigate one's way across the room up there for boxes just 4 days ago, is a huge improvement!

The yard is looking sad, though. Clueless and Hellspawn obviously had a dog, there are huge patches of dead lawn everywhere, as well as a big square patch where the doghouse stood. I'm thinking that maybe next summer I'll do some xeroscaping out there - you don't have to mow rocks. My boyfriend has loaned me an old weed-whacker, as the grass I'll have to cut encompasses such a small area. He's also loaned me a really terrific pair of garden clippers, for the hedge. Now, I wouldn't have the first idea of what I'm supposed to trim on the hedge. I prefer the wild-foliage-impenetrable-thorn-thicket look, anyway. I do have my statue of St. Francis of Assissi in the yard, along with my wind whirlies and suncatchers; the yard kind of looks like a shabby old rubbie dressed in clown clothes. Oh well, that's my style, I like it.

Today I plan to have lunch with two of my book-packing girlfriends. They're coming over here first so I can show off my little house, then we'll hit somewhere nice for lunch. NOT the Asian Village because as my best friend says, "I eat Indian all the time". Of course, she is Indian. Maybe we'll go to Hoang Long, or perhaps one of the places in The Mall.

There is supposed to be a contractor coming by this afternoon after 4 to measure for my two interior doors. I opted to go with Rona installations, they are, after all, a Canadian company (Home Depot is not Canuckistani). There's a $45.00 fee for the site measuring, said amount being deducted from the final total if you contract with Rona to do the job. Nice deal, if you ask me. As soon as I have the bedroom doors installed, I will be ready for houseguests. Hear that, my Usanian and otherly-located friends?

Time to go and run the Hoover over the carpets - company's coming!

1 comment:

TB said...

Comment heard! :)

My travels are on hold indefinitely... at least until such time as I am employed again. I hate job-hunting.